We have been successful in securing listed building consent and planning permission for Commerce House, one of Middlesbrough’s most historic buildings. Built for the North-Eastern Banking Company, it was purchased by the Chamber of Commerce in 1935, became vacant from 2010 and since then has been desperately in need of a new use. This grade II listed building sits at the end of an elegant sweep of buildings forming Exchange Square, is in the Conservation Area and part of the Middlesbrough Historic Quarter. Following a private sale we undertook pre-submission negotiations with heritage and planning officers to help the client understand both the constraints and opportunities of the property. With fabulously ornate interior; panelling, detailing and features the challenge has been to cost effectively retain these valuable features whilst providing a retail and office offer that’s attractive to tenants. Working closely with Middlesbrough council officers we’ve agreed the internal modifications and adaptations to doors, walls, lighting, signage lifts and historic feature needed to change the use of the ground floor banking hall to a coffee shop, modernise the offices on the first and second floor and refurbish the former bank managers flat into a luxury penthouse apartment.